What If - X-World - The Ruins of London

A shattered world left behind after conflicts escalated into cataclysmic war.

What If - X-World - The Ruins of London

Postby Miranda Weaver » Wed Feb 11, 2015 11:40 am

Bit of an alternate future here and something of a brain cleanser for me. One of those ideas that grabs you and won't let go kind of thing.

From the Tales of the Seer wrote:They say 'we won', like that means anything. Won what? A ruined world. Isn't it wonderful?

The warlords call this the post-human society. To be perfectly honest, humanity picked a fight that they couldn't hope to win. They outnumbered us quite handily. It looked like it might be easy to destroy us. Very few miscalculations in this conflict were greater than that first one.

It started in the Southeastern United States when the state of Alabama expelled all mutants from their borders. The other southern states followed suit, expelling those mutants who would leave and arresting those who refused to go. X-Corp objected, but the United States government declared X-Corp to be persona non grata in their borders and seized the corporation's holdings in US territory. It went downhill from there.

Without X-Corp's overt presence, the persecution picked up speed and people did what people usually do when backed into a corner, they started fighting back. When mutants fought back, it often made for good, if shocking, TV, so the whole world got to see the hellhole that the US rapidly became. Canada and Mexico were next, eaten up in the fever of their influential neighbor. The superhero teams tried to do what they could, but they were just as often having to choose sides and sometimes splitting along the conflict lines in the process.

By the time the insanity hit Europe, not even the conviction of Captain *bloody* America as a terrorist was enough to give people pause and stem the tide into what would eventually become a world wide conflict. The European Union disintegrated, each country trying to handle a riled up mutant population in their own way. Their inaction on the "American problem" had sealed their fate. No concession was enough and heavy handed tactics were met with the strongest opposition.

In a bold move, worthy of the days of the USSR, Russia made a play to pick up the pieces of the disintegrating Union and moved military units into Eastern Europe. They promised sanctuary for all mutants as well as homes and food. They got as far as Berlin before their nationalist super team, the Supreme Six, turned on the country's president and assassinated him in front of a crowd of shocked onlookers.

The losses on both sides were staggering. Mutants and humans alike were displaced on a grand scale. Predictably enough, China held out the longest before sucumbing to the madness. My, admittedly meager, investigations lead me to believe they are the ones who pushed the button first. I don’t know for sure. I was kind of busy at the time.

At least one missile hit the United Kingdom. The resulting environmental damage drove one of my friends insane. She was a weather mutant and intrinsically tied to Mother Nature. The proximity of the damage broke her and she called down the wrath of Gaea herself on London. As the city was rapidly reclaimed by nature, I fought her through the streets and in the air. Why did I not see this coming? The number of visions you get when the end of the world starts can keep you a little busy. Sue me… if you can find a court. I was unable to save London. It just isn’t in my power to undo what she’d done. I did manage to finally bring her down and I’ve looked after her ever since. Her mind has never been the same. I keep trying to repair it but.... enough about that.

Society in the United Kingdom has disintegrated. The island was not prepared to feed the population that still called it home. Those who could escape to the mainland did so. Many of us remained behind for our own reasons. Humans are few and far between now. They didn’t adapt to the changes caused by the bombs as well as we did. I guess we were superior in that regard.

We lost a lot too. Many good people died who should not have. Our response to the crisis was fragmented by ambition and hesitance. I’ve heard that Magneto and Polaris saved New York City from annihilation. New York City made Magneto their ruler, if what that itinerant German teleporter said is true. I’m not sure where Mum and Mom are. They were away when the transportation networks began to collapse. So I scavenge in the ruins of London, fighting the overlap of Alfheim with some crude magics of my own. Bastard opportunistic elves…

The time is about five years from the “present”. The world is in shambles after the human-mutant conflict went nuclear. London wasn't wrecked by a bomb though. An unknown mutant triggered a natural apocalypse with rapid plant growth turning London into a true “urban jungle”. What buildings are still intact were cut off from essential services like power and most of the roadways into town were ripped apart.

Several warlords have tried to claim the ruins, but all so far have died and are buried outside the city limits. Word holds that a mutant calling him or herself the Seer lives in the ruins and that no one will take control of the city without his or her approval. Some mutants do call the ruins home and even seem to be forming a small community, but none has come forward as the Seer.

Big Ben still works for some reason, keeping the time perfectly and chiming as it always has.

Complicating matters for London is that the sudden natural explosion drew Alfheim close to Midgard, allowing raiding parties of elves to cross into the city. This proximity also allows strange, fantastic creatures to enter into Midgard. The sudden shift also woke some of Midgard’s own fantastic beings and sightings of water spirits along the Thames are becoming more common. There’s even rumors of a unicorn in the vicinity of the Lambeth.

The University at Maldon might still be standing, but no one has heard from them since the bombs dropped and no one has ventured there because reality in that area has proven to be treacherous.

In the post-bomb environment, there are two kinds of mutants. “Pre-cat mutants” were exhibiting mutant abilities prior to the bombs. “Post-cat mutants” had their abilities wakened during or shortly after the bombs. Post-cats exhibit a higher incidence of visible physical mutations. Otherwise, how the distinction matters is entirely dependent on the community.
Miranda Weaver
XI Student

Re: What If - X-World - The Ruins of London

Postby Miranda Weaver » Wed Feb 11, 2015 11:55 am

Now in her early 20s, Miranda has taken the mantle of "Protector of London" on herself. This actually means very little and usually those who get to hear that title end up regretting it severely. To the mutant community in the ruins, she's just "Randa", a name given to her by Theresa.

Theresa hasn't been the same since the bombs dropped. She isn't all there and is usually just content to sit. Miranda, or "Randa" as Theresa calls her, looks after her.

Melissa died defending mutants in Miami, ending up in a one-on-one fight with Iron Man, but her sacrifice allowed quite a few mutants to escape.

Gemma/Ignata is rumored to be lairing somewhere in Wales, though that just may be another dragon awakened by the islands transformation.

Allison was at the University when it went off the grid. No one knows what happened to any of the residents there since then.
Miranda Weaver
XI Student

Postby Nailah Weaver » Wed Feb 11, 2015 12:17 pm

Going of the grid didn't affect the University as much as other places due to it's ability to sustain itself, but when London erupted into an overgrowth the resulting dimensional shift shattered the crystal formations in the bedrock and the cliff-face began to crumble. The Point and the Lighthouse fell into the ocean while a significant portion of the campus sagged into the ground and collapsed into the crystal caverns. Most of the actual mansion is still standing but everything else was destroyed. With most of it's high-tech facilities and autonomous power source buried underneath the ocean waves the remains of the University went dark.

ASHLIE had been out operating dozens of deployed drones in various crisis areas around the world when the caverns collapsed. All the units shut off when the signal operating them suddenly terminated, many of them locking down and fusing circuits but some remained functional. Most of those have been scavenged, mainly for their power sources, and have given small groups a chance to rebuilt. Some caused small communities to spring up, others gave a Warlord the edge they needed to claim a territory.
Nailah Weaver
Faculty

Postby Vertie Easley » Thu Feb 12, 2015 9:21 am

Gar went with Melissa to Miami. After her death, he used force of personality to put together a resistance that eventually became his own little domain. He's a fairly benevolent warlord as far as warlords go.

Gar sent Vertie north to Scotland to hide before he left. She weathered the ensuing chaos pretty well, being used to living out in the open. She's made the trip back to London now that things are a little more quiet in hopes of finding some of her friends.

Vivienne and her mother sacrificed a lot to keep the tear between their dimension and Earth to a small trickle. Vivienne is trapped on this side of the veil now though, unable to cross back to Avalon for fear of increasing the flow of magical creatures into the world.
Vertie Easley
XI Student

Postby Will Stanton » Thu Feb 12, 2015 9:25 pm

When disaster struck, Will abandoned his posts and responsibilities and headed north to find his wife and child.

He has not been heard from since then.
PLASTICINE
Will Stanton
XU Student

Postby Haley Crusek » Sat Feb 21, 2015 1:57 am

Haley was a university student and newly-minted X-Woman when the world finally went to hell. The X-Teams were all over the globe, trying to help where they could, though it was almost certainly a losing battle. Her team was on assignment in Paris when the bomb hit--no one's heard from them since.

Stephanie and Trev were at the school when it went dark. Whereabouts unknown, but some say the dragon rumored to be living in Wales occasionally has a rider.
Haley Crusek
XI Student

Postby John Hino » Sun Feb 22, 2015 8:13 pm

John was flying back to London from Japan when his private jet was shot down over Finland. He's been trying to find his way back ever since.

Nick hasn't been seen since he failed to save his mother from becoming collateral damage.

Graham vanished into the ruins, but a mysterious cloaked hunter has since been seen picking off both bandits and elves with brutal efficiency.
John Hino
XU Student

Postby Narrator » Sun Mar 08, 2015 3:16 am

While no one had checked out the university since all this began, rumors did exist--and they said that anyone who went in never came out again.
Narrator
The Architect of Your Misery

Postby Ryan Gabriel » Sun Mar 08, 2015 3:31 am

Victoria has been spotted at various times at various magically significant areas across the globe. What her purpose is, what she's ultimately got planned, is anyone's guess. Anyone she doesn't know who's come to ask her has either been diverted with some minor glamour or, in some cases, dealt with in a much more permanent fashion.

Ryan was also at the school when it went dark. Nothing has been seen of him since. (more pending, trying not to get too far ahead of his current plot)

Paul has likely been seen by just about anyone who can get ahold of him. He's got a sat phone and a list of places he's managed to teleport to over the years, and if someone needs out of a sticky situation, he'll be there as soon as he possibly can to get them portaled out. Hopefully if he does this enough, he'll come across his missing friends, right?

Daniel, lacking any other direction, threw in with Magneto and Polaris in New York, and would be trying to keep things from going too much to shit there. He's always open to other ideas, of course.
Ryan Gabriel
XU Student

Return to X-World