Through the Looking Glass.

A shattered world left behind after conflicts escalated into cataclysmic war.

Through the Looking Glass.

Postby Vivienne Chinnoir » Tue Apr 14, 2015 5:03 pm

Vivienne stood waiting on a makeshift dock directly south from the Cathedral, with her was the dwarf leader Doagen, who had a large wrapped item resting on his shoulder.
Last edited by Vivienne Chinnoir on Tue Apr 14, 2015 6:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Vivienne Chinnoir
XU Student

Re: X-world: Through the Looking Glass.

Postby Gemma Sloan » Tue Apr 14, 2015 5:10 pm

Gemma walked up, dressed in a robe and eyeing the water. "I'll change as soon as we're there. Water and my other side sometimes don't agree."
Gemma Sloan
XI Student

Postby Jennifer Newgate » Tue Apr 14, 2015 5:13 pm

"Alright, let's do this. Is there anything we should be aware of for this?" she asks Vivienne while eyeing the dwarf suspiciously.
Jennifer Newgate
XI Student

Postby Vivienne Chinnoir » Tue Apr 14, 2015 5:28 pm

"I can only warn you of the Unseelie who dwell there, beyond that I do not know." She held a small golden vial and a wooden bowl of pearls. "Fey sight and enchanted fresh water pearls. One pearl for each of you and you can contact me no matter where you are. Just pour clean water on a reflective surface and drop the pearl in. The elixir is dropped into the eyes, one drop in each eye. It is attuned to light magic, my magic, so you will be able to see through my wards and barriers around the pond. Light Fey will be a brightness, Dark fey darkness."

The short bearded man "hurmphed" at Jennifer and moved his burden to his other shoulder.
Vivienne Chinnoir
XU Student

Re: Through the Looking Glass.

Postby John Hino » Tue Apr 14, 2015 7:07 pm

"How long does the elixir's effect last?" John asked.
John Hino
XU Student

Postby Vivienne Chinnoir » Tue Apr 14, 2015 7:51 pm

"Fourty-eight hours and this is for you John." Vivienne motioned to the dwarf who grumbled.

"Aye, even with ya weak human metals, she'll out last ya legacy." Doagen unwrapped the large broad sword and offered it over.
Vivienne Chinnoir
XU Student

Postby John Hino » Tue Apr 14, 2015 8:36 pm

"Damn that was quick," John cackled happily.

"Ahem. I am honored to accept this blade," he said with a bow as he took the sword in his hands. "I will wield it with pride."
John Hino
XU Student

Postby Vivienne Chinnoir » Wed Apr 15, 2015 3:34 pm

"I did mention they were eager." Vivienne smiled.

"Ah, go get yer feet wet ya silly nymph." Doagen grumped and turned to leave smiling to himself.

Once the pearls were given out and the drops applied to everyone willing, Vivienne lead them out into the river. Stepping off of the dock the group would find themselves standing in ankle deep warm water.

"Relax and do not fight." Vivienne said softly as the water slowly rose up around them, creating a effect much like being inside a snowglobe only much dryer. There was a brief "down" sensation, similar to an elevator, then a similar "up" sensation. As the water fell away they were in their new location. Stepping out of the large impact "pond" the group would realize they were in another similar "snowglobe" situation. There was a ten foot radius around the pond that was green and fresh, outside, beyond the shimmer of Vivienne's barrier, was the darkness.

"Welcome home everyone." Vivienne said sadly.
Vivienne Chinnoir
XU Student

Postby Gemma Sloan » Wed Apr 15, 2015 5:37 pm

Gemma shed her robe, stepped forward, and shifted all in one fluid motion. "I'll stick my neck out first. It can take a good bit more punishment," she said, moving to stick her head outside the barrier.
Gemma Sloan
XI Student

Postby Narrator » Wed Apr 15, 2015 5:52 pm

It's hard to know what Gemma was expecting. Rumors had abounded about the state of the university, and certainly, like the rest of the countryside, it must have been scavenged for parts and supplies over the years. A disaster zone would probably be an apt way to describe the expectations.

Only...that wasn't what was there. Not really, anyway. From the boundaries of Haley's Pond, one could see that the border of the university--the gated walls and the cliff face, specifically from this angle--were covered in thick, thick thick foliage. Past them, however, things seemed to get...calmer. The grass was even mowed. The sun was shining, and there was a cool sea breeze coming in from...well, the sea, presumably.

The pond proper had a bit of a ring of free space around it, so Gemma didn't immediately stick her head into something nasty. It looked, however, like something had moved some of the hedges from the hedge maze over here, as the pond itself was surrounded by a circle of brambles and thorns, stretching a good 15 feet in the air.
Narrator
The Architect of Your Misery

Postby Brigid Plunder » Wed Apr 15, 2015 5:56 pm

"Let's not dally too long," Brigid says, ready to move.
Brigid Plunder
XI Student

Postby Gemma Sloan » Wed Apr 15, 2015 5:57 pm

Gemma pulled her head back in, a puzzled look on her face. "Most of the place looks fine. Tended to even. There's a pretty tall, thick hedge around us though."
Gemma Sloan
XI Student

Postby John Hino » Wed Apr 15, 2015 7:04 pm

"It shouldn't be too much of a problem to get through," John said, feeling out the broadsword's balance.
John Hino
XU Student

Postby Vertie Easley » Wed Apr 15, 2015 7:29 pm

"Marching order?" Vertie knelt and emptied her backpack and pockets of small rodents.
Vertie Easley
XI Student

Postby Vivienne Chinnoir » Wed Apr 15, 2015 7:33 pm

"The Avalon tare is in that direction. I shall remain here, unless I feel a light fey pass through. The pearls will allow you pass my barrier as you please, simply wait for me if I am not here." Vivienne sat on the ponds edge her feet in the water.
Vivienne Chinnoir
XU Student

Postby Jennifer Newgate » Wed Apr 15, 2015 8:48 pm

"The two dragons can take point, I'll follow behind them."
Jennifer Newgate
XI Student

Postby Gemma Sloan » Wed Apr 15, 2015 8:53 pm

Gemma nods and pushes her way out, trying to avoid getting into the thorns just yet.
Gemma Sloan
XI Student

Postby Narrator » Wed Apr 15, 2015 9:55 pm

The space would rapidly become crowded, but not unmanagable for the small team.

Now that they were outside the bubble, they could tell it wasn't entirely quiet. There was some small noises from off in the distance of the old school buildings, and an occasional clunk from the general direction of the lighthouse, just barely audible over the waves on the shore.
Narrator

Postby Gemma Sloan » Thu Apr 16, 2015 8:38 am

"Probably want to head for the main buildings first," Gemma pondered out loud, rearing up on her hind legs and straining her neck in an attempt to see over the hedge. "I think they're over this way," she said, indicating a section of the hedge.
Gemma Sloan
XI Student

Postby John Hino » Thu Apr 16, 2015 9:30 am

"Then stand back," John said, coming forward to chop at the hedge with a superstrength-powered swing of his dwarven broadsword. Part of him was in nerd heaven.
John Hino
XU Student

Postby Vertie Easley » Thu Apr 16, 2015 2:39 pm

Vertie's rodents moved in pairs, biting into the thorns and slipping into the holes as John, Gemma and Trev worked to make a human sized path through. Vertie herself stayed behind with Jen and Brigid.
Last edited by Vertie Easley on Thu Apr 16, 2015 10:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Vertie Easley
XI Student

Postby Narrator » Thu Apr 16, 2015 7:15 pm

Hack hack hack, smash smash smash.

It was...harder than it should have been. The bushes seemed to be growing back and filling in, though not as quickly as they were cutting through.

A vine whipped out, looking to draw blood from some of the more vulnerable-types.
Narrator

Postby Brigid Plunder » Thu Apr 16, 2015 7:33 pm

"Well, that's..."

She lashes out with her machete, trying to parry the vine.

"...disconcerting."
Brigid Plunder
XI Student

Postby Narrator » Fri Apr 17, 2015 12:09 am

Disconcerting as it may be, it tried to wrap it's way around Brigid's arm, the thorns digging into her exposed flesh.

She's able to chop it away with her machete immediately afterwards, and the vines....paused.
Narrator

Postby Gemma Sloan » Fri Apr 17, 2015 8:17 am

Gemma's body immediately bursts into flames, trying to discourage any vines from making a grab at her. "Move," she says to John, trying to wedge her large flaming body into the gap to make it wider and hopefully keep the hedge from growing back.
Gemma Sloan
XI Student

Postby John Hino » Fri Apr 17, 2015 9:41 am

John stepped back, warily eying the vines.
John Hino
XU Student

Postby Jennifer Newgate » Fri Apr 17, 2015 9:59 am

As John and Gemma push forward a faint shimmer surrounds Brigid and the rest of the group, Jennifer standing in the middle of them with her arms outstretched as she generates the protective force-field.

"I am so sick of all this vegetation."
Jennifer Newgate
XI Student

Postby Vertie Easley » Fri Apr 17, 2015 11:13 am

"Anyone remember anyone with plant powers back in school?" Vertie asked before going a little "vacant" on the eyes as she divides her senses between the scout groups. She was attempting to get a ratty first look at what lay on the other side of the thorn barrier.
Vertie Easley
XI Student

Postby Brigid Plunder » Fri Apr 17, 2015 1:15 pm

"I don't know, but I want to have a word with them," she growls, peeling the chopped off vine off her bleeding arm.
Brigid Plunder
XI Student

Postby Narrator » Fri Apr 17, 2015 3:01 pm

It was as Brigid through the vines clear that they---retracted. They sunk back into the ground, along with the hedges, so fast it appears as if they had just vanished.

The combined forces of chopping and fire and grumbling seemed to be quite effective, overall!

Vertie's main impression was that of a familiar smell, though one that was difficult to place immediately. It smelled vaguely of fire, and there was...motion. it was all very hazy, though, as if it wasn't really concrete.
Narrator

Postby Vertie Easley » Fri Apr 17, 2015 3:42 pm

"Ooh kay...next time maybe we'll lead with a thinly veiled Brigid threat." Vertie gave Brigid's arm a quick look. "May not even scar."
Vertie Easley
XI Student

Postby Narrator » Fri Apr 17, 2015 5:27 pm

The wound was deeper than expected from a simple thorn, though that might not be super-surprising, seeing as how the thorns weren't exactly normal. Vertie was right, though--it could have been a lot worse.
Narrator

Postby Gemma Sloan » Fri Apr 17, 2015 5:36 pm

Gemma kept her flames up, glaring around to get her bearings as she tried to figure out how best to get them towards the old school buildings. "If anyone actually cares to listen, we're X-Men," she said to no one in particular.
Gemma Sloan
XI Student

Postby Narrator » Fri Apr 17, 2015 7:37 pm

No reply. Just the blowing of the wind.
Narrator

Postby Jennifer Newgate » Fri Apr 17, 2015 10:11 pm

"This isn't eerie at all..." Jennifer says as she takes a couple careful steps out onto the open field. She reaches out with her telepathy to see if she can pick up anything.
Jennifer Newgate
XI Student

Postby Narrator » Fri Apr 17, 2015 11:11 pm

Nothing clear at this range, at least. A bit of a hum, if anything.
Narrator

Postby Gemma Sloan » Sat Apr 18, 2015 7:26 am

"I say we keep moving towards the buildings and stay close together so whatever or whoever it is can't pick us off."
Gemma Sloan
XI Student

Postby Vertie Easley » Sat Apr 18, 2015 12:41 pm

The rodent scouts fanned out ahead, squirrels heading up trees and rats darting in and out of the shadow. "There's a familiar scent, but I can't place it. I can make a few guesses."
Vertie Easley
XI Student

Postby Trev Anderson » Sat Apr 18, 2015 3:55 pm

Trev rubbed his thigh where a vine had wrapped itself around him, grimacing and keeping his hunting knife out. "Well....whoever is still here knows we're here, at least..."
Trev Anderson
XU Student

Postby Gemma Sloan » Sun Apr 19, 2015 11:58 am

Once everyone had grouped up, Gemma started working her way towards the school buildings, keeping an eye out for ambushes.
Gemma Sloan
XI Student

Next

Return to X-World