One Does Not Simply...

Built on the Braddock Estate not far from the Manor, these were constructed for the university's benefit after doubts about the... eccentricities of the Manor itself.

One Does Not Simply...

Postby Veronica Glarette » Wed Nov 19, 2014 5:34 am

Veronica checked her hair and makeup. Why am I even bothering? She gave a frustrated sigh. She didn't know why, as she was pretty sure Ryan was only doing this out of pity. To her, she wasn't good enough and never would be. She was a simple girl- nothing compared to the beautiful superheros out there. Ryan had seen her dumped by her parents and probably just felt bad. A pity sort of thing. So why did Veronica bother? What am I doing... She changed her clothes from the fancy shirt she had found that she enjoyed and just tossed on her sweater. Just watching a movie and training. Quit thinking it's anything else.

With that, she grabbed the extended pack edition of LOTR and headed out her door and up to Ryan's, giving it a soft, likely unsure knock.
Veronica Glarette
XU Student

Re: One Does Not Simply...

Postby Ryan Gabriel » Wed Nov 19, 2014 5:40 am

Ryan, on the other hand, was looking good. He looked freshly showered, had a nice shirt on (this time, probably to her relief), and grinned when he opened the door and saw her. "I was hoping I wasn't going to have to go find you, good," he teased, moving out of her way to let her in. "Is your head feeling better?"
Ryan Gabriel
XU Student

Postby Veronica Glarette » Wed Nov 19, 2014 5:47 am

She smiled softly and nodded, stepping inside. "Yes. Just needed some peppermint tea to kick eet away. Nosing too extensive." Veronica replied. She held up the large bundle. "All off zee dvds, extended edition. Pretty easy to find."
Veronica Glarette
XU Student

Postby Ryan Gabriel » Wed Nov 19, 2014 6:21 am

"Excellent," he said. "Are you thirsty?" He moved around in a slightly restless manner after she came in, picking up some last minute things he'd missed, grabbing something to drink (if she said yes), all fairly legitimate things to hurry up and finish.

Granted, a fairly perceptive person might pick up on the fact that he was nervous.
Ryan Gabriel
XU Student

Postby Veronica Glarette » Wed Nov 19, 2014 6:46 am

"A little, yes." She answered, watching him pick things up with a curious expression on her face. Hm... Veronica picked at the dvd case, pretending to be doing something important with it. It was obvious she was nervous too, though she didn't believe she had a reason to be. "Were your classes well today? Zee kids are doing well?"
Veronica Glarette
XU Student

Postby Ryan Gabriel » Wed Nov 19, 2014 6:52 am

"As well as ever. They've got some sort of drama going on right now... you know how it goes. They'll work it out, or I'll have to play referee eventually, one way or the other." He turned on the TV, getting the dvd player cued up. "Here, I'll get this started, you get comfortable."
Ryan Gabriel
XU Student

Postby Veronica Glarette » Wed Nov 19, 2014 7:05 am

"High school drama, eet is inevitable, and unfortunately healsy. I would be worried if zey were all actually getting along." She hands the case to him and heads to the couch, taking a seat. If he was good at noting body language, he could probably tell she was nervous and somewhat distant. Arms were crossed, she sat on the far side of the couch, and her general posture was off from her normal relaxed self. Deflated. When she spoke, one wouldn't really be able to tell any of this. She played the part well that way. But not many can hide body language. "Zey will figure eet out, I'm sure."
Veronica Glarette
XU Student

Postby Ryan Gabriel » Wed Nov 19, 2014 7:12 am

"Oh, they will. I just have to keep them alive while they do it." He looked back as the movie cued up, frowning slightly. Well shit.

He walked over, sitting down, close to the middle but more toward her. He wasn't going to crowd her, but he'd be damned if he was going to go shove off to the other side of the couch like her.
Ryan Gabriel
XU Student

Postby Veronica Glarette » Wed Nov 19, 2014 7:17 am

She gave a small chuckle. "I suppose zat is definitely somesing to watch out for. Uncontrollable powers can definitely hinder sings, especially if zere emotions are running high, I would imagine. What about taking zem to zee Danger Room to hash sings out?"
Veronica Glarette
XU Student

Postby Ryan Gabriel » Wed Nov 19, 2014 7:20 am

"Depends on who it is. And that can backfire. One person wins, then it starts this big feud that keeps them beating each other up in the danger room for the next three years."
Ryan Gabriel
XU Student

Postby Veronica Glarette » Wed Nov 19, 2014 7:32 am

"Hm...zat is very true. But I wonder if zat would be better zan zen doing it outside off zee room and possibly seriously injuring each oser, non?"
Veronica Glarette
XU Student

Postby Ryan Gabriel » Wed Nov 19, 2014 7:35 am

"And thus you see the dilemmas of my life," he said, watching some happy hobbits in oh-god-how-awesome-can-it-be New Zealand on the screen. He glanced at Veronica out of the corner of his eye, almost saying something, then closing his mouth.
Ryan Gabriel
XU Student

Postby Veronica Glarette » Wed Nov 19, 2014 7:41 am

"I haf learned in life zat sings can always be worse. Some people would give anysing to have such a dilemma as zat in exchange for what zey have." She says, watching the hobbits as well. Veronica couldn't help but smile a little bit. The movie was entertaining to her, no matter how many times she had seen it.
Veronica Glarette
XU Student

Postby Ryan Gabriel » Wed Nov 19, 2014 7:46 am

"I want a hobbit hole," Ryan commented. "Just, y'know, not so cramped."
Ryan Gabriel
XU Student

Postby Veronica Glarette » Wed Nov 19, 2014 7:50 am

She smiled wide. "I haf always sought it would be amazing to haf one. Zey look so homey. Comfortable. Insulated too, non? I do not imagine heat or cold being a problem being built into a hill."
Veronica Glarette
XU Student

Postby Ryan Gabriel » Wed Nov 19, 2014 7:53 am

"Probalby not. I just don't know if you could make the so that there's room for wings. Which is kind of a deal breaker."
Ryan Gabriel
XU Student

Postby Veronica Glarette » Wed Nov 19, 2014 8:00 am

"Sure you could. I'm sure zere is a hill big enough. Zough, I am unsure if zere is one around here. Probably would haf to go to some place like...well, New Zealand."
Veronica Glarette
XU Student

Postby Ryan Gabriel » Wed Nov 19, 2014 8:02 am

"Yeah, New Zealand has all the luck," Ryan agreed. Seeing how it hadn't been minded before, and he should have at least a moment to be able to do it, he reached over, casually, squeezing her hand for a moment.
Ryan Gabriel
XU Student

Postby Veronica Glarette » Wed Nov 19, 2014 8:11 am

Looking down at his hand over hers, Veronica paused a moment before drawing her hand away. "I uh..." She didn't even know what to say.
Veronica Glarette
XU Student

Postby Ryan Gabriel » Wed Nov 19, 2014 8:12 am

He cocked an eyebrow. "Was your power starting to kick in? Or are you still mad at me?"
Ryan Gabriel
XU Student

Postby Veronica Glarette » Wed Nov 19, 2014 8:14 am

"My power..." She said softly, but it was an obvious lie. Veronica hardly ever told lies, and she was horrible at it if she ever tried.
Veronica Glarette
XU Student

Postby Ryan Gabriel » Wed Nov 19, 2014 8:20 am

"You're... still mad at me," he sighed. "Shit. I'm sorry."
Ryan Gabriel
XU Student

Postby Veronica Glarette » Wed Nov 19, 2014 8:27 am

"I do not get angry wis people, Ryan." Which was actually true. There was not a time that she felt anger towards someone. She always just pinned the blame on herself.
Veronica Glarette
XU Student

Postby Ryan Gabriel » Wed Nov 19, 2014 8:30 am

"Okay, then you're upset, and it's because of me," he ammended. "I'm sorry. I'm really, really sorry. For being an idiot and not calling you, and for touching you too long and making you lose a day, and... I'm just so sorry," he said, looking over at her sadly.
Ryan Gabriel
XU Student

Postby Veronica Glarette » Wed Nov 19, 2014 8:35 am

"Being upset is off my own doing, not yours. You haf no reason to be sorry. You had oser sings to do, so off course you did not call. I should not haf expected you to. Touching me too long is somesing off my own problem for not getting a handle on my powers. You did not make me lose a day. Eet is off my own incapability to control."
Veronica Glarette
XU Student

Postby Ryan Gabriel » Wed Nov 19, 2014 8:38 am

"No, I... Yes, you should have expected me to call. I mean, come on, do I seem like the kind of guy who treats girls like that? Well... aside from the fact that I... shit, I guess I am those guys," he sighed.
Ryan Gabriel
XU Student

Postby Veronica Glarette » Wed Nov 19, 2014 8:46 am

"No...zat is not what I was implying." She says, beginning to sound a bit frustrated.
Veronica Glarette
XU Student

Postby Ryan Gabriel » Wed Nov 19, 2014 8:47 am

"Well it's what it sounds like. I said I was sorry. I mean, yeah, I know that I was an idiot and wiped the whole thing from your head afterward, but I thought we worked this one out. You don't remember any of that?"
Ryan Gabriel
XU Student

Postby Veronica Glarette » Wed Nov 19, 2014 8:50 am

"According to zee last sing I remember, I lost sirteen hours." She says, sounding somewhat ashamed. "If we spoke about eet, I do not remember. I apologize."
Veronica Glarette
XU Student

Postby Ryan Gabriel » Wed Nov 19, 2014 9:32 am

Ryan sighed. "Then let me paraphrase a little. It doesn't matter why I did it, it doesn't matter what I was doing, I could have answered. You deserve a lot better than that, and I know that. And I want to do anything I can to make that up to you."
Ryan Gabriel
XU Student

Postby Veronica Glarette » Wed Nov 19, 2014 9:48 am

Veronica listened quietly to him, resting her hands in her lap. Her expression softened a bit. She wasn't about to argue with him about it. "Sank you." She says softly, looking down at her hands. Was there something still on her mind? Probably. But she didn't say anything more about it. "You do not have to make up for anysing."
Veronica Glarette
XU Student

Postby Ryan Gabriel » Wed Nov 19, 2014 10:20 am

"Yes, I do!" He protested. "I know that you don't like to take any stand that's actually in your favor, but you deserve to get this made up to you, I don't know why you keep fighting me on that."
Ryan Gabriel
XU Student

Postby Veronica Glarette » Wed Nov 19, 2014 10:43 am

She is quiet for a few moments before she speaks up. "I am not trying to fight you on eet. I simply do not see eet as necessary." She opens her mouth to say more, but stops herself before she unloads.
Veronica Glarette
XU Student

Postby Ryan Gabriel » Wed Nov 19, 2014 10:50 am

"what the... Yes, I get it, I was a thoughtless asshole! And yes, I feel terrible about that!"
Ryan Gabriel
XU Student

Postby Veronica Glarette » Wed Nov 19, 2014 11:01 am

"No, you were not being an asshole." Her voice had a slight sharpness to it as she was about one more remark away from losing it.
Veronica Glarette
XU Student

Postby Ryan Gabriel » Wed Nov 19, 2014 11:03 am

"Ah, yes, I was! You were texting me, I wasn't answering. That's textbook asshole right there!"
Ryan Gabriel
XU Student

Postby Veronica Glarette » Wed Nov 19, 2014 11:27 am

"Or maybe you were actually hafing a life. Maybe, just maybe, you were spending time doing somesing else zat did not involve having to pity a child." She answered. She was trying hard not to snap, but was failing horribly. "Maybe you were taking zee time to make yourself happy for once. You haf seen me dumped by my family. You haf seen me be incapable to control and because off zat, maybe you feel like you haf to be here. Zat you haf an obligation." And there it was.
Veronica Glarette
XU Student

Postby Ryan Gabriel » Wed Nov 19, 2014 11:02 pm

"NO!" Ryan shouted, supremely frustrated now. "I..." He broke off, the right words not cutting through at the moment. He took a deep breath. "There aren't even words to say just how wrong you are, on every count."
Ryan Gabriel
XU Student

Postby Veronica Glarette » Wed Nov 19, 2014 11:18 pm

She jumped at the shout and shank a bit, but stood her ground, turning to him. "Non? Out off all zee women here at zis place, out off all off zem you could be spending time wis, you choose to spend eet here? Out off all off zem zat are confident, beautiful, strong, and I would imagine haf much more in common wis you...do you not see how eet looks?"
Veronica Glarette
XU Student

Postby Ryan Gabriel » Wed Nov 19, 2014 11:48 pm

"Why do I want to spend time with people who think I'm a joke," Ryan shot back, not backing down either. "You pushed through when people would have given up, and you stayed you, you didn't let all the shitty things happening to you change you. You are strong. And beautiful. And..." He hesitated. "When I'm with you, I don't have to be a big superhero, or a soldier, or a huge sensation, or on top of all the screwed up things in my life, or feel like I'm a failure when I'm not succeeding at being any of those."
Ryan Gabriel
XU Student

Next

Return to Xavier's University Dorms