I12DT - Enter At Your Own Risk (Open)

Renovated from the Manor's original guest house, the majority of faculty offices are housed here.

I12DT - Enter At Your Own Risk (Open)

Postby Natalya Romanov » Wed Sep 18, 2013 1:50 pm

Someone, thinking it was funny, had actually stuck a post-it note to Natalya's name plate that said "Assistant Headmistress." She had decided not to remove it and just to let them have their laugh. She was sitting in her office now, sorting through her notes on Will's case, trying to make sense of it and compile something to feed to Wisdom that he could use.
Natalya Romanov
Faculty

Re: I12DT - Enter At Your Own Risk (Open)

Postby Narrator » Wed Sep 18, 2013 2:48 pm

The results weren't promising, at first glance. There was no hard evidence linking it to Black Air, but it was totally Black Air. It seemed to be attacking any printed reference to Will Stanton -- and presumably, there was a computer equivalent spreading through various databases back in the US. It didn't seem to be effecting anything ELSE though -- a perfectly targeted retconning virus.

How were they doing this? Perhaps they were using some of the bits of Will that remained with them as a catalyst or source material? Could it really be entirely effective? Scary thought.

The deadline for how long the UK government could play ball was approaching, too.
Narrator
The Architect of Your Misery

Postby Natalya Romanov » Wed Sep 18, 2013 5:23 pm

"I've got a bunch of damn good explanations, but it's based on a single 'it looks like my old colleague's signature'," she growled to herself, trying reshuffling what she'd written, trying to come up with something concrete.
Natalya Romanov
Faculty

Postby Narrator » Wed Sep 18, 2013 8:32 pm

Will Stanton. Will Stanton. Not on his birth certificate, not on his yearbook, not on his driver's license...

Will Stanton. Name. His personal data...but whatif...

A quick flip back through the yearbook would reveal an unidentified figure moving through the background -- though a trained expert could tell that, yup, that was a younger Will, simply wearing a wig (or possibly having shifted his hair on the sly).

The virus wasn't perfect, afterall. That means there HAD to be a way to get one up on Black Air...

But why were they even doing this in the first place? Why try to send Will out of the country? They were British, weren't they? What possible reason could they have for trying to force him to return to America, just with all his registration wiped out?
Narrator

Postby Natalya Romanov » Wed Sep 18, 2013 9:56 pm

Send Will back to a country where he ceases to exist. We'd miss him if he disappeared, but we'd have a devil of a time getting anyone to care since we'd be asking about a person who didn't exist. Which works whether it's just Black Air in on this or they're working with some state-side dark shop.

She leaned back in her chair and put her hands behind her head. And it's looking to erase him in very specific ways, but it's not smart enough to recognize him outside of particular parameters. She scratched her head in thought.
Natalya Romanov
Faculty

Postby Narrator » Wed Sep 18, 2013 10:30 pm

It may behave like a virus, but they're really just machines. Microscopic machines -- just like what were currently inside Will. Would that be enough hard evidence? Maybe not in a court of law, but this wasn't a court of law. And, who knows, maybe there'd be some similarities in design. Or something.

But really, she had to prioritize here -- Black Air wasn't going to go away or anything. First thing first -- keep Will from being deported, and then strike back at Black Air. Defense first.
Narrator

Postby Natalya Romanov » Wed Sep 18, 2013 10:31 pm

Natalya picked up her desk phone, the one she was positive was secure, calling the labs.
Natalya Romanov
Faculty

Postby Stan Bowen » Wed Sep 18, 2013 10:55 pm

"Research Lab." Stan answered, after picking up.
Stan Bowen
Faculty

Postby Natalya Romanov » Thu Sep 19, 2013 8:14 am

"Stan, it's Natalya. I need you to run a comparison between the virus we found and the devices that Black Air implanted in Will. Sara should be able to give you the access to that information if you don't already have it."
Natalya Romanov
Faculty

Postby Stan Bowen » Sat Sep 21, 2013 9:04 pm

"Ok, give me some time. I'll let you know the results."
Stan Bowen
Faculty

Postby Natalya Romanov » Sun Sep 22, 2013 2:26 pm

"Thanks, Stan. And once Sara has handed over the data, she needs to be as removed from the process as possible. I want to be able to claim as little bias as possible if there's something worth handing over."
Natalya Romanov
Faculty

Postby Stan Bowen » Sun Sep 22, 2013 4:27 pm

After a moment, Stan replied. "Okay, no problem. I'll let you know as soon as I do."

After about an hour, Stan called back.

"They look very different, at first glance. The electrical stimulators injected into will are simpler and larger, more machine-like. The chrono-virus is much, much more sophisticated, and capable of many different functions. It was purposely limited, to keep it as covert as possible. But when you dig deeper, the internal structures, the components, the design thinking of the creator... They are all there. I'm certain they both came from the same source... And it's looking more and more likely the source is Quentin Watson."
Stan Bowen
Faculty

Postby Natalya Romanov » Sun Sep 22, 2013 7:50 pm

"That's what I was looking for. Would you write your findings up? I'll put together some of the operational details regarding Will's kidnapping. I think that'll give Wisdom something to swing for the fences with on Will's visa.'
Natalya Romanov
Faculty

Postby Stan Bowen » Sun Sep 22, 2013 9:32 pm

"Anything to help. I'll get the data plugged into my journal presentation template. I'll get it to you in a few minutes."
Stan Bowen
Faculty

Postby Natalya Romanov » Sun Sep 22, 2013 9:39 pm

"Thanks a bunch, Stan."
Natalya Romanov
Faculty

Postby Stan Bowen » Sun Sep 22, 2013 9:51 pm

"Just keep me in the loop. If Quentin is involved, I want to be as well. We go back, and I need to know what happened to him."
Stan Bowen
Faculty

Postby Natalya Romanov » Sun Sep 22, 2013 10:17 pm

"Will do. I'll definitely be looking to go offensive with this as soon as Sam gets her stuff sorted out. Can't really do more than play defense without her approval right now."
Natalya Romanov
Faculty

Postby Stan Bowen » Sun Sep 22, 2013 10:19 pm

"Ok, I'll leave it to you. Talk to you later."
Stan Bowen
Faculty

Return to Xavier's University Administrative Building