You don't feel it until you know it's there

Renovated from the Manor's original guest house, the majority of faculty offices are housed here.

You don't feel it until you know it's there

Postby Ryan Gabriel » Fri Dec 19, 2014 10:24 pm

Ryan hesitated outside Nailah's door. I'm probably just making a big deal out of nothing. What's it been, one week since I bugged her? He looked at the door, about to knock, for a few minutes before he finally knocked.
Ryan Gabriel
XU Student

Re: You don't feel it until you know it's there

Postby Nailah Weaver » Fri Dec 19, 2014 11:13 pm

"Come on inside." she calls from inside. Opening the door Ryan would find her sitting at a table covered in books and pictures of what appears to be papyrus scrolls. The occasional National Geographic seems to be hiding in the piles too.
Nailah Weaver
Faculty

Postby Ryan Gabriel » Fri Dec 19, 2014 11:28 pm

Ryan paused as he looked over the desk. "Bit of light reading?"
Ryan Gabriel
XU Student

Postby Nailah Weaver » Fri Dec 19, 2014 11:45 pm

"Research. Which is tricky because the imagery behind that... construct in your mind is rather ubiquitous by design."
Nailah Weaver
Faculty

Postby Ryan Gabriel » Fri Dec 19, 2014 11:49 pm

"Well that's... Okay, I'm going to stop pretending I get any implications of anything."
Ryan Gabriel
XU Student

Postby Nailah Weaver » Sat Dec 20, 2014 12:11 am

"Certain themes can be found in cultures all over the world." she says, gesturing at some pictures of people with halos or sun-disks above their head or auras around their heads. "That's one of the more obvious ones. Another is what the spell in your head seems to be connected to." she adds, gesturing at an image depicting Saint George, next to a photograph of Egyptian drawings and
what appears to be Mayan hieroglyphics. Somewhat separate in it's own pile is an old drawing of an eye-patch wearing old man with ravens perched on his shoulders, a spear leaning against the back of the throne he's sitting on and wolves lieing at his feet. "Notice the common element?"
Nailah Weaver
Faculty

Postby Ryan Gabriel » Sat Dec 20, 2014 12:21 am

Ryan nodded. "I think you touched on that last time. A spear, right?"
Ryan Gabriel
XU Student

Postby Nailah Weaver » Sat Dec 20, 2014 12:56 am

"Exactly. Problem with that is that it's hard to find any good information in a sea of myths and legends, especially since I'm fairly certain that at least some of those existed and likely at the same time. Hell, I know for a fact that at least one of them exists right now." she says, gesturing at the picture of Odin sitting on top of a pile of Norse related stuff. "So this is not a solitary phenomenon to begin with."
Nailah Weaver
Faculty

Postby Ryan Gabriel » Sat Dec 20, 2014 1:05 am

"I don't THINK that it's Odin's spear in my head. God I hope not, at least. It doesn't feel like any of the Norse did last year, at least. I think," he added.
Ryan Gabriel
XU Student

Postby Nailah Weaver » Sat Dec 20, 2014 2:46 am

"It isn't, because if it was we would probably have Asgardians on our doorstep, demanding it back."
Nailah Weaver
Faculty

Postby Ryan Gabriel » Sat Dec 20, 2014 2:50 am

"Which we remain glad for, because that might kill me. Got it." He sighed. "I don't know if its my imagination or what, but it feels like it's... I don't know. It's like a kind of pressure in my head. It doesn't hurt yet, but it's... Distracting?"
Ryan Gabriel
XU Student

Postby Nailah Weaver » Sat Dec 20, 2014 2:32 pm

"Interesting. From an academic point of view. For what it's worth, I am fairly certain that the transformation that priest went through was likely not directly related to this. It seems to be more an indicator of how significant they thought this thing to be that they gave it someone who was blessed by Set."
Nailah Weaver
Faculty

Postby Ryan Gabriel » Sat Dec 20, 2014 7:50 pm

Ryan hesitated. "So I'm not at risk of turning into some tentacle monster because of this, then?" he asked, sounding on the verge of relief. And... cue the embarassment for getting Steph and Bear worried...
Ryan Gabriel
XU Student

Postby Nailah Weaver » Sat Dec 20, 2014 8:43 pm

"Not unless you decide to dedicate your soul to the Leviathan. But there is still the chance that this'll burn you out. I've tried to piece together what happened to the Abyss Priest and there's a good chance that it was this is what destroyed his physical form. Whether that is because he tried to channel it and was overwhelmed by it's power or whether his corrupted form was cleansed by it is hard to tell. It wasn't the cause for his distorted shape but I think it was responsible for his demise."
Nailah Weaver
Faculty

Postby Ryan Gabriel » Sat Dec 20, 2014 8:46 pm

And on that, Ryan's relief seemed fairly complete. "Is there anything we can do to find out?" he asked. "I remember it... pretty vividly. I don't think I've really talked to anyone about how it happened, but... yeah."
Ryan Gabriel
XU Student

Postby Nailah Weaver » Sat Dec 20, 2014 9:04 pm

"If you think there might be something that'd help I'm certainly willing to listen."
Nailah Weaver
Faculty

Postby Ryan Gabriel » Sat Dec 20, 2014 9:23 pm

"At this point I don't have any clue what'd help. I just remember that that... thing was going for Melody. I went at it , tried to give it a deathblow with my power. Then there was just black. I was... floating in this blackness that was so thick it was hard to move. I heard it. It was this... pulsing sound, kind of a humming. I followed it and I found this light that was wrapped in a shadow. I burned the shadows away, and it got... faster the more power I put into it, until it just burst. I woke up and was dripping in that thing's guts." He hesitated, then nodded. "I don't think I told anyone all of that. Tends to make people look at you weird when you talk about stuff that no one else there saw."
Ryan Gabriel
XU Student

Postby Nailah Weaver » Sat Dec 20, 2014 9:39 pm

"Welcome to my world. It sounds like you accidentally freed this from whatever they'd done to it to bind it to the mind of it's enemy. I wish you could tell me more about the darkness you cut through, but maybe that is something best left forgotten. And that means it connected with you naturally, since I don't think you accidentally recited dark incantations to bind it yourself. Releasing it might simply be a matter of finding someone or something that has a bigger affinity to it than you do."
Nailah Weaver
Faculty

Postby Ryan Gabriel » Sat Dec 20, 2014 10:10 pm

"Well I'm less worried if it's not going to turn me into something like... that. And the darkness... it was like I was swimming. Everything felt slow... tired..." He thought, then shook his head. "Don't really remember more about it. Wasn't exactly the part that stood out," he said, apologetically.
Ryan Gabriel
XU Student

Postby Nailah Weaver » Sat Dec 20, 2014 10:38 pm

"That's alright, I think I have a rough idea what it is. I've seen it before, manifested in the real world. It's... not a pleasant substance. If it wasn't for the choral you set free it might have swallowed you whole and I dread to think what it would have spit out. You did burn away all of it, right?"
Nailah Weaver
Faculty

Postby Ryan Gabriel » Sat Dec 20, 2014 10:48 pm

"I was trying to be pretty thorough. What I didn't get, it looked like it got. I think. It started happening kind of fast after a bit."
Ryan Gabriel
XU Student

Postby Nailah Weaver » Sat Dec 20, 2014 11:18 pm

She nods. "Good. I'll keep looking into this but you're the one carrying it inside you and that probably makes you just as likely to figure this out. Just be careful about using it."
Nailah Weaver
Faculty

Postby Ryan Gabriel » Sat Dec 20, 2014 11:30 pm

"I'm glad you're more optimistic about this than me. It just has me... tired. I think. I mean, it could be anything, but it's just been since I... touched it that it started, so, y'know, one plus one is usually two." He shook his head. "This is really not making me like Lemurians, y'know?" he said, trying to smirk a little.
Ryan Gabriel
XU Student

Postby Nailah Weaver » Sun Dec 21, 2014 12:07 am

"No paint them all with the same brush, but they do worship an ancient evil and have sworn vengeance on us mammals." she smirks faintly. "Have Dr. Bowen and the Med Center give you a thorough once over to make sure this isn't having a detrimental effect on your health."
Nailah Weaver
Faculty

Postby Ryan Gabriel » Sun Dec 21, 2014 12:10 am

He nodded at that. "Is he going to give me the 'no this isn't magic, I have to run studies to find out what it really is' deal?" he asked. It was, after all, the very reason he hadn't reported any of this to SHIELD yet.
Ryan Gabriel
XU Student

Postby Nailah Weaver » Sun Dec 21, 2014 2:24 am

"Just tell them you want a routine check-up if you don't want Professor Bowen rambling on about how this is all non-sense."
Nailah Weaver
Faculty

Postby Ryan Gabriel » Sun Dec 21, 2014 3:22 am

"And then more 'wait and see what happens'?" Ryan guessed. "I mean, don't get me wrong. The 'I'm not about to die' news is more than enough."
Ryan Gabriel
XU Student

Postby Nailah Weaver » Sun Dec 21, 2014 3:39 am

"The easiest way to find out more would be to try and feel it out yourself but that'd also be the more risky approach."
Nailah Weaver
Faculty

Postby Ryan Gabriel » Sun Dec 21, 2014 10:18 am

"I suppose it's good that I'm not just laughing off 'dangerous' anymore. How risky are we talking?"
Ryan Gabriel
XU Student

Postby Nailah Weaver » Sun Dec 21, 2014 1:03 pm

"Somewhat? There's really not a good scale. I don't think it warrants explicitly warning you against it. Just be careful if you do."
Nailah Weaver
Faculty

Postby Ryan Gabriel » Sun Dec 21, 2014 3:12 pm

He nodded. "I'll... Let you know if there's anything that comes up worrying me. Unless there's anything to watch out for that I don't know." He hesitated. "No doom visions about me from this? You can tell me."
Ryan Gabriel
XU Student

Postby Nailah Weaver » Sun Dec 21, 2014 4:00 pm

"There's plenty of doom surrounding this, but a lot of that is tied to where it came from and what it's meant to fight, nothing clear."
Nailah Weaver
Faculty

Postby Ryan Gabriel » Mon Dec 22, 2014 1:52 am

"If you don't see anything about me exploding, I'll take it," Ryan said, nodding. "Thank you. I... really needed to hear all that," he admitted.
Ryan Gabriel
XU Student

Postby Nailah Weaver » Mon Dec 22, 2014 2:23 am

"I understand and I'm sorry if I caused you any concern."
Nailah Weaver
Faculty

Postby Ryan Gabriel » Mon Dec 22, 2014 2:53 am

"I don't think there was any way for me to not panic about it," Ryan admitted. "I probably would have come up with something even worse to think of for the worst case."
Ryan Gabriel
XU Student

Postby Nailah Weaver » Mon Dec 22, 2014 11:06 am

"Believe me, I know that feeling."
Nailah Weaver
Faculty

Postby Ryan Gabriel » Wed Dec 24, 2014 8:01 pm

Ryan smirked. "And do your worst cases involve every bad thing that anyone could imagine, but with a side helping of people saying 'didn't you see this coming?'"
Ryan Gabriel
XU Student

Postby Nailah Weaver » Wed Dec 24, 2014 8:50 pm

"People are pretty imaginative, but I've had my share of terrible visions that I had the questionable pleasure of seeing come true."
Nailah Weaver
Faculty

Return to Xavier's University Administrative Building