September 4th: The Rose and Crown

Though many students might prefer going to London, Maldon provides closer amenities for those without a car or unwilling to pay for a cab. Several pubs are available, though the Rose and Crown is notable for having been where Excalibur spent a good deal of their downtime. Also of note is the Plume Library, home to many rare books.

September 4th: The Rose and Crown

Postby Veronica Glarette » Fri Oct 03, 2014 3:01 am

After successfully shopping for some clothing and books, Veronica decides to sit and relax at the Rose and Crown. The week had been pretty tiring, and there was nothing more she really wanted than a glass of wine. She plops down in the circular booth by the window and ordered a glass of white zinfandel from the waitress, settling in. This place is pretty nice. She thought to herself, enjoying the relaxing atmosphere. It wasn't long before her wine was delivered and she was happily relaxed.
Veronica Glarette
XU Student

Re: September 4th: The Rose and Crown

Postby Ryan Gabriel » Fri Oct 03, 2014 3:08 am

Across the bar, Ryan seemed to be having a drink with someone. Or rather, finishing a drink. The first thing that might even draw Veronica's eye over was when they stood up, shaking hands. The other man, looking like mid-level businessman in his suit, made his way out the door, while Ryan deflated back into his seat, reading over something on his phone.
Ryan Gabriel
XU Student

Postby Veronica Glarette » Fri Oct 03, 2014 3:14 am

Taking out her phone, she sips from the glass. After tap tapping on the screen for a bit, she hits send, watching Ryan.

Suppose it's my turn to seem like the crazy stalker.
-V
Veronica Glarette
XU Student

Postby Ryan Gabriel » Fri Oct 03, 2014 3:17 am

I was wondering if you'd ever say anything.

He didn't look up, except to hold his glass up to ask for a refill. For all the world could see, he hadn't even gotten a text.
Ryan Gabriel
XU Student

Postby Veronica Glarette » Fri Oct 03, 2014 3:24 am

If I had text right after we parted at the shore, it would have seemed desperate, you know. Isn't that how that works?

She takes a sip from her wine, leaning against the booth and looking out the window.
Veronica Glarette
XU Student

Postby Ryan Gabriel » Fri Oct 03, 2014 3:27 am

I wouldn't peg you as the desperate type, myself.

Although it WOULD be a little silly if we keep texting across the room, wouldn't it?
Ryan Gabriel
XU Student

Postby Veronica Glarette » Fri Oct 03, 2014 3:41 am

Looking back to her phone, she smirks. Should have expected him to have been so perceptive.

Your table or mine?
Veronica Glarette
XU Student

Postby Ryan Gabriel » Fri Oct 03, 2014 3:51 am

He didn't reply. But he did pick his drink up and walk over to her table. "Yours has a better view," he said, smiling across the table at her.
Ryan Gabriel
XU Student

Postby Veronica Glarette » Fri Oct 03, 2014 4:00 am

Sliding her phone away, she smiles back and looks out the window. "It is beautiful, non?" She takes a sip from her wine, relaxing back against the booth.
Veronica Glarette
XU Student

Postby Ryan Gabriel » Fri Oct 03, 2014 4:05 am

"I always liked smaller towns," he agreed. "Big cities are great to visit. It's always good to come home somewhere quiet, though."
Ryan Gabriel
XU Student

Postby Veronica Glarette » Fri Oct 03, 2014 4:30 am

"It is a nice change. Much more relaxing, I sink. Is zis different from your hometown?"
Veronica Glarette
XU Student

Postby Ryan Gabriel » Fri Oct 03, 2014 4:37 am

"About the same, actually. The school was off on its own, so if we wanted to do anything we'd need to head into town to Salem. Or if it was going to be a really crazy night, New York City. Salem was a smaller place, kind of like this. I mean, we had better pizza there, but you can't have everything," he adds with a grin.
Ryan Gabriel
XU Student

Postby Veronica Glarette » Fri Oct 03, 2014 4:41 am

She laughs. "I have heard much about zee pizza over in zee States. Is is really as good as zey say?" She smirks.
Veronica Glarette
XU Student

Postby Ryan Gabriel » Fri Oct 03, 2014 4:45 am

"Has to be. You can walk down a street and come across five different pizza places. Only way to get by is to make sure what you're putting out is quality."

"It's just not as big a thing here. And that's okay. I didn't know curry was good until I came here."
Ryan Gabriel
XU Student

Postby Veronica Glarette » Fri Oct 03, 2014 4:54 am

"Did you have a chance to try some off zee French dishes when you were down zere? Pot-au-feu?" She asks curiously.
Veronica Glarette
XU Student

Postby Ryan Gabriel » Fri Oct 03, 2014 5:07 am

"Nothing much beside what you saw me eat," he admitted. "On the way there, I lived off of a quick sandwich here and there. Would've been just my luck to take my time and something happened to you, you know? Haven't had a lot of experience in France aside from that, either."
Ryan Gabriel
XU Student

Postby Veronica Glarette » Fri Oct 03, 2014 5:14 am

"Zat is no good at all! I will have to whip somesing up for you to try. Is zere any kind off food you do not like?" She pulls out her journal, ready to write.
Veronica Glarette
XU Student

Postby Ryan Gabriel » Fri Oct 03, 2014 5:23 am

"I'm not that big on fish," he said, understating like mad. "Aside from that, anything is fair game. I think. I mean, hard to judge with food I've never had, right?" He answered casually, but from the smile he gave, the offer was more than appreciated. "You don't have to do that, though," he added to be polite, hoping that it would be waved off.
Ryan Gabriel
XU Student

Postby Veronica Glarette » Fri Oct 03, 2014 5:31 am

She writes that down, then waves a hand dismissively. "Nonsense. You have to have at least some sort off popular dish from my country. I admit I am no master chef, mais I know a few zat wouldn't be too difficult to make. It would be no problem, I assure you." She smiles brightly, meaning every word she said.
Veronica Glarette
XU Student

Postby Ryan Gabriel » Fri Oct 03, 2014 5:41 am

"You know, I don't think I've been so glad I took a road trip before," he said, grinning.
Ryan Gabriel
XU Student

Postby Veronica Glarette » Fri Oct 03, 2014 5:53 am

"Really?" She tilts her head with a smile. "I am unsure why. It zis because zee person you met on zee trip is going to cook for you?" She teases.
Veronica Glarette
XU Student

Postby Ryan Gabriel » Fri Oct 03, 2014 6:17 am

"Well, that doesn't hurt. It's also nice to have someone to talk to who isn't rolling their eyes at me behind my back and, you know, is actually interesting to talk to."
Ryan Gabriel
XU Student

Postby Veronica Glarette » Fri Oct 03, 2014 6:43 am

"I do not sink zere would be much reason for me to roll my eyes. And...I am unsure I could be considered 'interesting', but I sank you for zee compliment." She sips from her wine again, finishing it off. "Can I ask somesing?"
Veronica Glarette
XU Student

Postby Ryan Gabriel » Fri Oct 03, 2014 6:57 am

He grinned. "I think I'm pretty much an open book. Fire away." He took a sip of his martini as he waited.
Ryan Gabriel
XU Student

Postby Veronica Glarette » Fri Oct 03, 2014 7:05 am

As the waitress comes over, she asks for another glass of wine, then smirks at him. "Key words 'pretty much', non? I was going to ask why it is you feel so alone. From what I can tell from your blog, you have many friends and seem constantly doing sings. Mais, for some reason zee feelings you have...zey do not match what is seen." She pauses for a moment. "Zough I suppose sometimes zis is zee case in life. It just makes me curious is all." A soft smile.
Veronica Glarette
XU Student

Postby Ryan Gabriel » Fri Oct 03, 2014 7:50 am

Ryan hesitated for a minute, gathering his thoughts. "I maintain a... Presence, I guess. It's all to keep people focused on mutant rights, and to try to keep in people's heads that mutants aren't just power hungry maniacs. And it has its own stigma attached to it. A lot of people think I'm some vain playboy, some people think I'm out to cash in on being a mutant. And the ones that like what I'm doing can be just as bad. You can get a fair amount of support for anything you say that way, but it's not remotely the same as having a friend."

"I've made my fair share of mistakes. A lot of my friends went off to other schools, and I was too busy to keep in touch. I was horrible at maintaining relationships, and the most promising ones I had crumbled. Online I can get people to listen to anything. In person? I'm lucky if people take me seriously."
Ryan Gabriel
XU Student

Postby Veronica Glarette » Fri Oct 03, 2014 3:40 pm

She listens to him closely, thanking the waitress quietly when she returns with her wine. There's no pity in her expression, no furrowing of brows; she simply listens. This was something she had done for the friends she once had, and it was all natural to her. Sometimes all someone needed was a friend to listen. Not give advice.
Veronica Glarette
XU Student

Postby Ryan Gabriel » Fri Oct 03, 2014 10:18 pm

He shrugged, taking a drink from his martini again. "So yeah. That's me. I'm not going to go pretending like oh my god, I have a bad life or anything, but it's got its moments where you just want to hit something."
Ryan Gabriel
XU Student

Postby Veronica Glarette » Fri Oct 03, 2014 10:28 pm

Smiling softly, she nods. "Completely understandable." She doesn't press further, she doesn't ask questions about it, she simply lets it go. It was her way of letting him know there was nothing wrong with talking about it and that she wasn't one to judge. She takes a sip from her wine and looks back out the window at the passing people. "Is zere a park around here?"
Veronica Glarette
XU Student

Postby Ryan Gabriel » Fri Oct 03, 2014 10:40 pm

"Yeah, there is. I think it's... just up the street a ways."
Ryan Gabriel
XU Student

Postby Veronica Glarette » Fri Oct 03, 2014 10:47 pm

"Care to go for a walk?"
Veronica Glarette
XU Student

Postby Ryan Gabriel » Fri Oct 03, 2014 10:57 pm

"Well, I wouldn't want to impose my company, but yes, I'd love to," he said with a grin.
Ryan Gabriel
XU Student

Postby Veronica Glarette » Fri Oct 03, 2014 11:02 pm

She smiles brightly at his answer, downing the rest of her wine. "You wouldn't be imposing. Zere is a reason I ask for you to come."
Veronica Glarette
XU Student

Postby Ryan Gabriel » Fri Oct 03, 2014 11:09 pm

"Oooh, a girl with a plan, I like that," Ryan teased as he pulled out some bills and tossed them onto the table for their drinks.
Ryan Gabriel
XU Student

Postby Veronica Glarette » Fri Oct 03, 2014 11:15 pm

"It's a bit off a plan, but nosing too great. I wouldn't get too excited." She chuckles a bit then looks at him after he puts the bills down. "You don't have to do zat..."
Veronica Glarette
XU Student

Postby Ryan Gabriel » Fri Oct 03, 2014 11:24 pm

"I know," he said as he stood up, picking up his jacket. "And I'm doing it anyway. And plans don't have to be extravagant, they just have to be ideas. And I like ideas."
Ryan Gabriel
XU Student

Postby Veronica Glarette » Fri Oct 03, 2014 11:28 pm

"Well...sank you." She smiles and picks up her shopping bags, making her way to the door. Pointing out the general direction. "Zis way?"
Veronica Glarette
XU Student

Postby Ryan Gabriel » Fri Oct 03, 2014 11:37 pm

"That way," Ryan confirmed, trying to slip by and take her bags for her as they head out.
Ryan Gabriel
XU Student

Postby Veronica Glarette » Fri Oct 03, 2014 11:47 pm

As he takes her bags, she chuckles. "Sank you again...you're very sweet, you know zat?" As they walk, she makes it a point not to walk too fast (which is her normal). She was enjoying not being in a rush.
Veronica Glarette
XU Student

Postby Ryan Gabriel » Fri Oct 03, 2014 11:53 pm

"Me? Naaaah," Ryan joked. "At least no more than any guy should be." While he wasn't a stranger to the idea, he generally didn't take things slow on the ground. As long as he had someone to keep him company while he did? It was a nice change of pace.
Ryan Gabriel
XU Student

Next

Return to Downtown Maldon