September 4th: The Rose and Crown

Though many students might prefer going to London, Maldon provides closer amenities for those without a car or unwilling to pay for a cab. Several pubs are available, though the Rose and Crown is notable for having been where Excalibur spent a good deal of their downtime. Also of note is the Plume Library, home to many rare books.

Re: September 4th: The Rose and Crown

Postby Veronica Glarette » Sun Oct 05, 2014 10:03 pm

"I am sure it will not be a problem." She waves it off dismissively. "It's about having fun, non?" A smile.
Veronica Glarette
XU Student

Postby Ryan Gabriel » Mon Oct 06, 2014 12:01 am

"Exactly. So as long as you let me know if something stops being fun, we're all good."
Ryan Gabriel
XU Student

Postby Veronica Glarette » Mon Oct 06, 2014 12:51 am

She gives a nod. "Fair enough. I'm looking forward to zis."
Veronica Glarette
XU Student

Postby Ryan Gabriel » Mon Oct 06, 2014 2:06 am

"So am I," he told her, quite honestly.
Ryan Gabriel
XU Student

Postby Veronica Glarette » Mon Oct 06, 2014 2:51 am

"Ready to head home zen? Or did you have more sings to do?"
Veronica Glarette
XU Student

Postby Ryan Gabriel » Mon Oct 06, 2014 3:26 am

"No, I'm done if you are," he said. He hefted her bags again, then, deciding that it had been proven to be a move she wouldn't mind, reached for her hand. Because why not feed the rumor mills a bit when it would be rumors he'd like.
Ryan Gabriel
XU Student

Postby Veronica Glarette » Mon Oct 06, 2014 4:02 am

She wasn't expecting him to do that at all, so she didn't have the time to pull her hand back. Visions from people were uncontrollable to her and sporadic. She had no idea if she would see something, and hoped and prayed she wouldn't. Please no please no plea- No such luck. She squeezed shut her eyes. She didn't want to see it, didn't want to be a part of it. But she had no choice. Whatever she saw, a few words were repeated back unintentionally.

"We'll leave him by the school. I think he'll be too embarrassed to tell anyone what happened."

Her eyes opened wide, the purple showing extremely bright from the vision, likely enhanced by the fact that whatever she saw was extremely disturbing to her.
Veronica Glarette
XU Student

Postby Ryan Gabriel » Mon Oct 06, 2014 4:07 am

Wait, but... oh shit... Ryan yanked his hand back, silently cursing at himself. Trying to look casual, he turned like he was looking around, using his wings to try to block everyone's view of her. He was probably somewhat successful, they were on the edge of the park after all. "Oh god, I'm sorry," he whispered, waiting for the glow to die away.
Ryan Gabriel
XU Student

Postby Veronica Glarette » Mon Oct 06, 2014 4:16 am

"I..." She squeezed shut her eyes and covered her face. She felt horrible. These were the kinds of things she was afraid of. This was why she tried to keep to herself. "I am zee one zat should be sorry. I did not mean to intrude." Her voice revealed her feelings about the fact she felt completely at fault. "I will not say a word about it. I promise you."
Veronica Glarette
XU Student

Postby Ryan Gabriel » Mon Oct 06, 2014 4:18 am

"What... did you even see?" he asked. "Wait..." He frowned, thinking over what she'd said. "Ah, hell, the vampires? I'm pretty sure everyone knows that one anyway." He tried to make his voice as reassuring as he could as he looked her over, trying to size up what kind of effect that had had on her.
Ryan Gabriel
XU Student

Postby Veronica Glarette » Mon Oct 06, 2014 4:27 am

She was definitely shaken. Taking a deep breath, she tries to calm her breathing. After what seems to her like quite a while, she moves her trembling hands from her face. The purple hue was gone. At least she was able to control herself to make the hue go away after a while. As she looked around, there was actually a sense of confusion in her expression.
Veronica Glarette
XU Student

Postby Ryan Gabriel » Mon Oct 06, 2014 4:29 am

"It's all right," Ryan said, reassuringly. "Just... I don't know, tell me what you need." He almost moved to put a hand on her back to steady her, but realized she'd probably be jumpy about being touched just then.
Ryan Gabriel
XU Student

Postby Veronica Glarette » Mon Oct 06, 2014 4:39 am

Her eyes look around the area and take in the scene. It likely looked as if she was taking it in for the first time. "Zis...is zee park? In Maldon?"
Veronica Glarette
XU Student

Postby Ryan Gabriel » Mon Oct 06, 2014 4:43 am

He nodded, looking at her with concern. "It is. Are you okay? Need to sit down?"
Ryan Gabriel
XU Student

Postby Veronica Glarette » Mon Oct 06, 2014 4:53 am

"Non, I'm fine." She didn't sound so sure, but she also didn't sound as if she was willing to admit otherwise. "I am very, very sorry."
Veronica Glarette
XU Student

Postby Ryan Gabriel » Mon Oct 06, 2014 4:55 am

Ryan lowered his voice, not wanting to draw any more attention to them. "Do you think you can trust me a little, Veronica?" he asked quietly.
Ryan Gabriel
XU Student

Postby Veronica Glarette » Mon Oct 06, 2014 5:08 am

She answered quietly, matching the volume of his own voice. "I have no reason not to." It was true. She didn't.
Veronica Glarette
XU Student

Postby Ryan Gabriel » Mon Oct 06, 2014 5:11 am

"Then maybe let me help you?" he suggested. "And it's all right. It's not like you did it."
Ryan Gabriel
XU Student

Postby Veronica Glarette » Mon Oct 06, 2014 5:22 am

"How, exactly?" She was finally beginning to calm down, but it was clear the memory was fresh in her mind.
Veronica Glarette
XU Student

Postby Ryan Gabriel » Mon Oct 06, 2014 5:32 am

"Don't pretend you're all right if you aren't? What happened?" he asked. "I mean, other than the obvious 'I just dumped a crappy memory on you' part."
Ryan Gabriel
XU Student

Postby Veronica Glarette » Mon Oct 06, 2014 5:45 am

"It confirms a few sings for me and brings back a few memories is all. I sought what I saw in zee Catacombs in Paris was perhaps a mistake. From what I saw wis you, zis is not so and it makes me worry for some of zee victims I saw zat were..." She pauses for a few moments. "Zere are wicked people out in zee world. Zee confirmation of zis is just upsetting is all." She looks off to the side. Great, and now you look like a sensitive wimp. Well done.
Veronica Glarette
XU Student

Postby Ryan Gabriel » Mon Oct 06, 2014 5:49 am

Ryan nodded at that. "I'm... sorry," he said, this time visibly hesitating as he was about to put a steadying hand on her shoulder. "There are a lot of... really nasty things around. And a lot of them come looking for us." He looked around, feeling a little awkward for a moment. "I'm sorry you got dragged into them."
Ryan Gabriel
XU Student

Postby Veronica Glarette » Mon Oct 06, 2014 6:04 am

She shakes her head. "You have no reason to apologize. I need to toughen up, I sink."
Veronica Glarette
XU Student

Postby Ryan Gabriel » Mon Oct 06, 2014 6:10 am

"Okay, knock that off, right now," he said, lowering his voice even more. "I lived through that memory myself, I know how much it sucks, no matter how much you 'toughen up.' I've thrown myself at every messed up thing that's reared its head for the past however many years. So I know that there's no way to get yourself ready for everything. And..." He hesitated, his all-business tone breaking at the end. "I wouldn't want you to have to get used to this stuff. Most of us are hardened against it already, I... don't want it to scar you, too."
Ryan Gabriel
XU Student

Postby Veronica Glarette » Mon Oct 06, 2014 6:47 am

She quiets, listening to him without a word. His tone seemed to have some sort of effect on her, but whatever it was, was a bit unclear. After his tone breaks, she straightens up a bit. "I understand, and I am sorry. It is difficult to hear off and see zees sings zat happen, and zen hear and see zose who stand against zem so boldly wisout second sought. I will be honest, I feel like a small child compared to zose at home. Between zee Celtic Goddesses and superheros, I feel like I have nosing to offer. Zee sings I have seen and heard off terrify me because I know zere is no way I can face zem as you all do. Zat is why I feel I should toughen up. Zee feeling off insignificance."
Veronica Glarette
XU Student

Postby Ryan Gabriel » Mon Oct 06, 2014 7:03 am

Ryan just shook his head. "That... is just so far from the truth," he said. "I..." He looked around a moment, then back at her, acutely aware that they might be conspicuous now. "Walk and talk?" he suggested.
Ryan Gabriel
XU Student

Postby Veronica Glarette » Mon Oct 06, 2014 7:07 am

"Off course." She waits for him to lead, as she really doesn't know which way to go at this point. Her memory of the place was either fuzzy or non-existent.
Veronica Glarette
XU Student

Postby Ryan Gabriel » Mon Oct 06, 2014 7:13 am

He led her out of the park and started back along the way they came. "I can't speak for everyone," he said. "I can only speak for myself, so I hope that's enough. "But I can't think of a more depressing thought than that everyone has to step up and do the same thing. I... well, I love my power. I love what I do. But... there's a cost. It's like the center of my life, all of our lives, has to be all of this mess and jumping directly down its throat. There's a really high rate of X-Men never leaving the school, because they just don't have time for anything else, it seems like." He looked at her as they walked. "I don't know what you wanted to do with your life. Maybe you don't either, I don't know. But if you have to center your life around all of these things, if you don't even get to explore what you want to do? That... makes what I do feel insignificant. Because if we're not actually making things safe or stable enough for people to live, then what the hell is the point of any of it?"
Ryan Gabriel
XU Student

Postby Veronica Glarette » Mon Oct 06, 2014 7:26 am

His words stuck to her. They made sense, and she wasn't about to argue the logic of them. "You're right." She looked around as they walked, eyes settling on various, yet seemingly silly things like vines growing on walls, cracks in the sidewalks, things of that nature. "Sinking off it zat way, I have to admit, it makes sense." A small smile forms as she looks back to him. "Sank you."
Veronica Glarette
XU Student

Postby Ryan Gabriel » Mon Oct 06, 2014 7:28 am

"Well, I have to make sense sometimes," he said, glancing over at her with a grin. He hefted the bags into his other arm, lowering his voice. "And I really should have thought about what I was doing before I went for your hand. It really was dumb of me, and I'm sorry," he added.
Ryan Gabriel
XU Student

Postby Veronica Glarette » Mon Oct 06, 2014 7:35 am

"Oh...zat is what happened?" She breathed a sigh of relief for whatever reason. "Please, do not apologize. It is somesing I have not learned to control, and until I take zat step, it really will not get any better. A curse, non?" She was attempting to make a joke out of it, but there was a hint of seriousness behind it she couldn't hide.
Veronica Glarette
XU Student

Postby Ryan Gabriel » Mon Oct 06, 2014 7:37 am

And Ryan looked at her, speaking those words that had gotten him into trouble so, so many times when women were concerned. "Is there anything I can do to help?"
Ryan Gabriel
XU Student

Postby Veronica Glarette » Mon Oct 06, 2014 7:40 am

She shakes her head. "It is somesing I need to figure out how to do wisout zee possibility off intruding on people. I would not feel it right. But I sank you for zee offer."
Veronica Glarette
XU Student

Postby Ryan Gabriel » Mon Oct 06, 2014 7:44 am

He gave her a look. "All right, two things. First off, helping people control their power is my job. Second, my life is an open book, forced down as many people's throats as is possible. And I wouldn't have made the offer if I wasn't all right with that."
Ryan Gabriel
XU Student

Postby Veronica Glarette » Mon Oct 06, 2014 7:47 am

"Wait, so I would have to pay you?" There was another joke. She was feeling a bit better.
Veronica Glarette
XU Student

Postby Ryan Gabriel » Mon Oct 06, 2014 7:51 am

Ryan smirked. "Well, you could just keep my selfless offer in mind when we head into London for dinner," he teased.
Ryan Gabriel
XU Student

Postby Veronica Glarette » Mon Oct 06, 2014 8:05 am

She gives a bit of a smile. "I suppose zat would work. Mais, I am only concerned because I do not know zee limitations off sings. It is more off a concern for you zan anysing else."
Veronica Glarette
XU Student

Postby Ryan Gabriel » Mon Oct 06, 2014 8:07 am

"I really don't see how you're going to do this without actually practicing. And, well, you're going to need someone to volunteer."
Ryan Gabriel
XU Student

Postby Veronica Glarette » Mon Oct 06, 2014 8:09 am

"...again, you are right." She says reluctantly, sighing a bit. "You are sure about zis?"
Veronica Glarette
XU Student

Postby Ryan Gabriel » Mon Oct 06, 2014 8:13 am

"As long as you tell me what you see. I mean, no fair knowing things about me and me not knowing what they are," he said with a smile. The smile soon faded. "As long as you're okay with it. I mean... I can get some of the more... intense things under a telepathic block so you don't get anything nasty like that last one."
Ryan Gabriel
XU Student

PreviousNext

Return to Downtown Maldon